A Collection in
Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives
Collection number 018
Washington and Lee University, School of Law, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. ArchivesLewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives
Washington and Lee University
School of Law
Lexington, Virginia 24450-0303
Phone: (540) 458-8969
© 2016 By Washington and Lee University. All rights reserved.
Processed by: John N. Jacob
Collection is open to research.
There are no restrictions.
Walter H. Ryland Briefs, Ms 018, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives, Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, VA
Gift of Walter H. Ryland.
Walter H. "Rusty" Ryland was born in Richmond, Virginia on January 23, 1943, and raised in Urbanna, Virginia. He graduated from Washington and Lee University in 1965 and from its School of Law in 1967.
He practiced at a Richmond firm for a short time before joining the Virginia Attorney General's Office in 1968. He spent fifteen years in state practice which led to frequent appearances in federal court. After three years as university counsel at what is now Virginia Tech University, he returned to the Attorney General's Office as head of the Education Section. Eventually he was elevated to Chief Deputy to the Attorney General.
In 1983, Ryland went into private practice with the Richmond firm Williams Mullen from which he retired in 2008. He lives in Richmond and practices part-time.
The Walter H. Ryland Briefs consist of four record cartons containing bound records and briefs from Ryland's legal career. There is also on volume of transcriptions of education law conferences in which Ryland participated.
- Carton 22.1: Adarand Constructors v. Pena (and Mineta in three iterations, 1994-2001
- Carton 22.2: Northeastern Florida Chapter of Associated General Contractors v. City of Jacksonville, 1992
- Carton 22.3: Michigan Road Builders v. Director of the Michigan Department of Transportation, 2001
- Carton 32.4: City of Richmond v. J.A. Cronson Company (and J.A. Cronson Company) v. City of Richmond), 1985-1988
- Carton 32.5: Cramer v. Virginia Commonwealth University, 1976-1979
- Carton 32.6: Kruse v. Campbell 1976-1978
- Carton 32.7: Maximus, Inc. v. Lockheed Information Management Systems, 1997-2000
- Carton 42.8: Maryland Highway Contractors Association, Inc. v. State of Maryland, 1997-1991
- Carton 42.9: Richmond Newspapers, Inc. v. Commonwealth of Virginia, 1980
- Carton 42.10: The Supreme Court of Virginia v. Consumers Union of the United States, 1975-1981