A Guide to the Records of Coan Baptist Church, 1804-1923 Coan Baptist Church, Records of, 1804-1923, A Guide to the 20555, 29809

A Guide to the Records of Coan Baptist Church, 1804-1923

A Collection in
the Library of Virginia
Accession Number 20555, 29808


Library of Virginia

The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000
Phone: (804) 692-3888 (Archives Reference)
Fax: (804) 692-3556 (Archives Reference)
Email: archdesk@lva.virginia.gov(Archives)
URL: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/

© 2001 By the Library of Virginia.

Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Processed by: Jim Greve

Library of Virginia
Accession number
20555, 29808
Coan Baptist Church Records, 1804-1923
Physical Characteristics
Negative photostats, 1 volume (108 leaves); and 1 microfilm reel.
Physical Location
Church Records Collection, Baptist and Miscellaneous reel 367

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Coan Baptist Church Records, 1804-1923. Accession [cite specific accession no. used], Church Records Collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Acquisition Information

Accession 20555 loaned for duplication by Dr. Garnett Ryland, 20 March 1933.
Accession 29809 loaned for microfilming by Dr. Woodford B. Hackley, Virginia Baptist Historical Society, 5 April 1962.

Biographical/Historical Information

Coan Baptist Church of Northumberland County, Virginia was organized on 17 November 1804 by members of Morattico Church dismissed to form a new church, and by members of Yeocomico Church which was dissolved. On 3 October 1847, the name of the church was changed from Wicomico Baptist Church to Coan Baptist Church. For more information see, "The Register of Wicomico Baptist Church," in Northumberland County Historical Society's "Bulletin," vol. 3, no. 1 (July 1966): p. 45-49.

Scope and Content Information

Accession 20555 is a minute book, 1804-1851, which also contains a children's register, 1786-1825, which was begun in 1811. This register is found on pages 135-150. Marriage dates of some of the parents are included, as well as the birth dates of the children. Membership lists are also included on pages 3-34, 151-191, and 192-200 (baptisms). The minutes for 1814 note that the British influenced some black members to run away.

Accession 29808 is a membership book, 1805-1923, which contains a series of revised membership lists beginning in 1805. Some death dates are included. This accession is found on Miscellaneous Reel 367.