Florence Davidson Collection Finding Aid MS318

Florence Davidson Collection Finding Aid MS318


[logo]

Local History and Special Collections Branch, Alexandria Library

717 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
pwalker@alexlibraryva.org
URL: http://alexlibraryva.org/lhsc

Mark Zoeter

Repository
Local History and Special Collections Branch, Alexandria Library
Identification
MS318
Title
Florence Davidson Collection (MS318)1856-1983
Quantity
.21 Linear Feet, 1 box
Creator
Davidson, Florence English, 1882-1942
Language
English .

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[item identification], Florence Davidson Collection, MS318, Alexandria Library, Local History and Special Collections, Alexandria, Virginia.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Sherry Hulfish Browne, October 2013


Biographical / Historical

Florence English Davidson (1882-1942) was a prominent Alexandria resident and landlord. During the 1930s and early 1940s, she lived at 220 S. Royal street, but owned, renovated, and rented 218 S. Royal, 323 Duke, 325 Duke, 515 Duke, and 325 South Lee streets. Florence was the mother to Polly Hulfish, who also made a name for herself as a historic Alexandria home renovator.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

  • Alexandria (Va.) -- History.
  • Business -- Virginia -- Alexandria

Significant Persons Associated With the Collection

  • Davidson, Florence English, 1882-1942

Container List

Series I: Ephemera
  • Text box: 1 folder: 1
    Bills and Receipts
    1938-1940
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains several bills and receipts sent to Florence Maigne from a variety of Alexandria businesses including E. Burnet Ale, Johnson Sea Horse Outboard Motors, Thomas J. Fannon and Sons, Walter C. Davis, Dr. Frank Michelbach Furniture, Southern Iron Works, W. A. Smoot, R. J. Dwyer, and more. Most represent items purchased for homes.

  • Text box: 1 folder: 2
    Invites
    1964-1973
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains 2 invitations. One is from the Alexandria Committee of The Friends of Stratford, and the other is for the Alexandria Association and includes a membership roster for 1964.

  • Text box: 1 folder: 3
    Menus
    1891-1907
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains 3 old menus from different events. One is from the restaurant The Exchange in Alexandria, dated February 23, 1891. Another is from Hybla Valley Farm, and the third is from the 2nd biennial banquet of the Washington's Birthday Association, 1907.

  • Graphic Materials box: 1 folder: 4
    Notecards
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains 4 notecards that feature sketches of Alexandria homes.

  • Text box: 1 folder: 5
    Pamphlets
    1900-1960
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains several pamphlets and booklets representing historic tours in Alexandria. One exception is the 1900 constitution of the Alexandria Golf Club. Others include a 1933 tour of historic gardens of Virginia in Alexandria, a 1936 tour of the interiors of historic Alexandria homes, and a 1949 booklet about the George Washington Masonic National Memorial.

  • Text box: 1 folder: 6
    Miscellaneous
    1856-1952
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains various business cards, a map of Alexandria, a playbill from an 1859 performance of The Russian War. Other notable objects include a catalog for an exhibit of the book collection of Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Whitton held at their house on 602 Cameron street on January 20, 1952 and a program for the anniversary of the Belles Lettres Society held on Jun 27, 1856.

Series II: Book
  • Books box: 1 folder: 7
    The Romance of Historic Alexandria
    1923
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains the book "The Romance of Historic Alexandria" by Rev. Eugene B. Jackson, published in 1923. The book is fragile.

Series III: Photographs
  • Graphic Materials box: 1 folder: 8
    Photos
    1939-1983
    Scope and Contents

    This folder contains several pictures of Alexandria structures. One photo depicts the demolition of buildings on King street. Another depicts King street and Columbus street in 1939. Three photos were taken of the land that Ronald Reagan National Airport now sits on.